Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4/23 Mexico Trip, New Locations, and 100 Coins on Saturday

The last few weeks have been very busy. I was in Mexico for a company retreat that allowed me to spend some time metal detecting the beaches. The resort was all inclusive and I quickly realized that there was not a lot on the beach besides nails and bolts. The three days I went out I picked up over a hundred pieces of iron and only 2 coins. It was disappointing.

Last week Ben and I got back out there and started hitting a few houses I go permission to hunt. I have been optimistic on finding some older coins since these homes are all from the late 1800's. Here are some of the finds from the last couple outings.

First house is a 1897 home with a big yard. All the tree strips have huge trees still there so I thought it would be a good area. Ben found one silver dime and I found a silver ring. I ended with 7 wheats all from the 40's so it didn't pay out as good as we thought it would.
 The next spot was a late 1800's home that owner told me used to be a polygamist home back in the day. The first outing yielded very little for myself. I only found a bunch of clad and 2 wheat pennies. Ben came away with a silver dime, silver ring, and silver war nickel. I went back twice this last week and started finding some good stuff.
 My first trip back yielded some interesting items. The coolest being the old school key from the 1800's. I also came way with a 1924 mercury dime and 4 wheat. The oldest wheat penny was 1916.
 The second outing last week was not as profitable. I found a bunch of clad pennies and some relics. One of the relics was a license plate cover that read San Francisco. The coolest find was the 1982 Austrian coin that is aluminum. This was my first stop on Saturday.
 After moving locations, Ben and I got permission to hunt this old home what was building a play ground. Lots of surface coins. Ben found a buffalo nickel on the surface and shortly after that I found a 1917 buffalo nickel as well. Once again no silver though.
 Ben had to leave so I headed over to another house that I got permission to hunt. Another late 1800's home. I found a total of 7 wheat pennies from the 40's and 50's. Some of the other finds included a old lipstick container and a 1976 calendar. When it was all said and done I ended Saturday with over 100 coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment