Friday, April 26, 2013

4/26 Pioneer Park Pays Out First Silver

Ben called me the other day and was determined to find a half dime in Pioneer park. It is the oldest park in town and he was going to hit it hard. He sent me a picture of the gutter all tore up. Anytime you see fresh dirt that has been untouched for years it's a must hit spot. He came away with his first silver and a couple other cool relics.

I went to Pioneer Park last night hoping to follow his example. When I got there I noticed a man working to dig up his yard. The house looked like it could be from the 1800's so I stopped and talked to him and his wife. They gave me permission and so I started on the dug up area of the yard. The first coin was a 1919 wheat penny followed by an old square nail from the 1800's. I thought it was going to pay out some old silver but in the end I found 6 wheats from 1915, 1919, 1927, 1940, 1947, and 1952. Also found some cool relics as well.

I told them I would love to come back and then I went back over the park to hit the gutter that was ripped out. The first coin I found was a 1944 Mercury dime and I thought I was going to get a couple silver for the day. After that I seemed only to find old buttons, the most I have ever found in one outing. The last thing I found was a 1913 Wheat penny.

 I love finding old square nails. It gives me hope of some older silver in the ground.
 Here's a close up of Pioneer Park and the gutter where I found the buttons and Mercury dime. The buttons made me think of my grandma Van Tassell. When I was little kid she would play this game called Button, Button, Who Has The Button? I sure do love and miss her!

No comments:

Post a Comment