Wednesday, May 22, 2013

5/21 Last Couple Weeks of Finds

I know I have not been updating the blog in the last couple of weeks. Lots of travel and lots of just metal detecting had prevented me from getting caught up. I have kept up on the photos so I'll let them speak for the last few weeks. These are in order of most recent to the oldest since last time I posted.

Saturday it rained most of the morning. Jason came down from Salt Lake and Ben met up as well. We hit a 1877 home that was hit several times before by others. They did a pretty decent job but I was happy to find my first V nickel from 1884. I can finally cross that off my list! We tried a few other spots but Saturday was not about quantity, it was about quality.
 I found a house from 1923 that had the yard ripped out so I stopped and tried it out. The ground was solid gravel and was hard to dig. It also made it pretty easy to find things since they were all on the surface. Best finds were a 1945 War nickel, 1954 silver Rosie, and 4 wheats.
 Spent a night looking for my buddy's gold wedding ring in Sandy. Derald is my good friend of many years who is always joking about my metal detecting. He is not poking fun anymore! I found the ring within 10 minutes of getting there. The ring is 14K and is made from gold given to him from his grandmother. Ben and I had  good time looking for it.
 That same night Ben got a call from a member in his ward and told us of a place where they are excavating the lot. There wasn't a lot of target but I managed this small token ring from the hit radio show Sky King from the 1940's. It was pretty good find.
 This home was built in late 1800's. Didn't find anything old but did managed a small silver ring and a large good luck token. Also found a dog tag as well.
 One day I stopped by this tree strip where the owner told me another guy had just barely metal detected it. Having an ego I was determined to find something they left behind. I found a couple modern coins and parts to an old toy. Looks like a construction truck.
 I met Ben one night at Lions park and got rained on pretty hard. I found two wheat pennies from the 50's, a silver heart from a necklace, and a English pound. After the rain in so beautiful against the mountains.
 One of the last trips to the corner house next to Pioneer Park yielded three wheats and a couple really cool relics. The coolest find of the night was in the same hole as one of the wheat pennies. It was a old purple bottle that was most likely used for aspirin back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment